To those of you who’ve been paying attention to the original project on GitHub, you’ve probably noticed that there’ve been a lot of changes there recently without any subsequent updates here. I’d like to take a moment to summarize what we’ve been up to, and keep everyone in the loop on where we’re going.
Inevitably as you start into a project you realize the full scope of what you’re trying to do, and as you do the finish line moves farther and farther towards the horizon. Most of the changes made were in respect to that.
js-maven-plugin is now js-maven
I renamed and moved the project because it was rapidly growing beyond the scope of a single maven plugin to include core libraries, tooling, archetypes and reports. Rather than try to hammer all these into one single java project I felt that switching over to a multi-module layout would give me the room I needed to grow. So far this seems to have been a good decision, as I now have the sense that I can (mentally) stretch my arms a little.
No more specific version commitments.
I’m making a concession to my own prioritization style here, which is very much a “Hey, this sounds like an interesting problem to solve” method. Needless to say, this doesn’t really work well with preplanned version releases, as there are some projects that are more fun and some that are less fun, and it resulted in me skipping around a lot. Instead, until I’ve got a few more contributors on the project, I’m simply going to outline a feature set for the various point versions and go after features as they strike me.
I understand that for an enterprise this is not the most optimal approach, so I will make this suggestion: If a particular feature is business critical enough for you to write your own solution, why not contribute it while you’re at it?
I’ve finally gotten around to setting up all the maven:site documentation for the project, and it’s now hosted on github’s pages for the project http://krotscheck.github.com/js-maven/ . Similarly, the README.md on github has been reduced to a quick start (since we know we all prefer copy/paste), as I don’t feel that much more was necessary.
We now support Maven 3 and Java 1.7 only. Annoying for some of you, yes, however in keeping with my philosophy of using the latest-and-greatest whenever possible we’re just going to put a line in the sand. That’s not to say we won’t ever support other versions, however those ports will have to come from the community (such as it is).
I’m still debating licenses. Right now the project is under the MIT license, though I might move it over to New BSD. This project will never be licensed under the GPL or any similar viral/copyleft license, as those tend to greatly inhibit adoption.
Roadmap Commitments for v0.2.0
If you’ll take a look at the roadmap, you’ll see the list of features which I want to have ready for the next minor version release. Notable additions were the reporting plugins for JSLint and JSDoc, as it didn’t make much sense to me to include those without making them accessible either. Here’s a list of where we stand right now, with some details:
Plugin Documentation [branch- jsdoc-improvments]
Now that I’ve got the maven site reports running, they decided to get all unruly and hurt my feelings by insulting my coding style. The inevitable cleanup phase is in progress, which also includes a bit of judicious refactoring as the actual usability of the plugin gets a little focus.
As this is my first large maven plugin project, I’m still learning my way around. Refactoring and cleanup is necessary – for example, sourceEncoding should be handled via the global parameter and not individually per Mojo.
Maven Reports: JSLint and JSDoc
These are two new features I realized would be necessary as I got the site up and running. I’m not at all familiar how plugins like this get wired into maven as a whole, so they might go fast or they might not.
Common JS Libraries in a repository [branch- jslib-redeploy-plugin]